Keep Holidays Happy | 11 Safety Tips
Holiday safety is an issue that sparks reason to be concerned at this time of year, as families gather, parties are scheduled and travel booms. Take precautions to ensure your family remains safe, injury-free and happy this holiday season! Here are eleven often over-looked safety tips!
1. Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use.
Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
2. Do not overload electrical outlets.
Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires. Avoid overloading outlets and plug only one high-wattage into each outlet at a time.
3. Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights.
More than three strands may not only blow a fuse but can also cause a fire.
4. Keep trees fresh by watering daily.
Dry trees are a serious fire hazard.
5. Hang high lights with a buddy. Every year, more than 500,000 people are injured as a result of falling off of ladders. If you’re hanging holiday lights this year, don’t do it alone. Make sure your ladder is level, don’t overreach, and don’t ascend the ladder with your hands full. Consider accessories like ladder jacks and levelers for additional safety.
6. Use battery-operated candles.
Candles start almost half of home decoration fires (NFPA).
7. Keep combustibles at least three feet from heat sources.
A heat source that was too close to the decoration was a factor in half of home fires that began with decorations (NFPA).
8. Protect cords from damage.
To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture, forced into small spaces such as doors and windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources, or attached by nails or staples.
9. Check decorations for certification label.
Decorations not bearing a label from an independent testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA), or Intertek (ETL) have not been tested for safety and could be hazardous.
10. Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking.
Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires (NFPA).
11. Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house.
Unattended candles are the cause of one in five home candle fires. Half of home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11 pm and 7 am (NFPA).
Concerned about what your insurance would cover in the case of a holiday accident? Discuss them with one of our insurance advisers and contact us here.
Please follow and like us: